The Minor Prophets
Christ’s Ministry Predicted
Although the Minor Prophets were primarily interested in their audience in Israel and Judah that lived hundreds of years before Christ, they also had a future prophetic message about the promised Messiah. In Luke 24:27, after the resurrection, Jesus taught His disciples that the Old Testament prophets all spoke of Him, and predicted His ministry. In 1 Peter 1:10-12, the Apostle Peter wrote that the prophets spoke of the salvation Jesus would bring, and spoke of the sufferings of Christ and the resurrection. On his missionary journeys in the Book of Acts, Paul would go in the local synagogues first and show his fellow Jews how Jesus fulfilled all the O. T. prophecies. The prophets took a message of judgment to their people, but also a message of hope for their future Messiah.
- When Herod was intent on killing the new King of Israel (Jesus), what prophecy did the chief priests quote him about the location of His birth in Matthew 2:4-6 (Micah 5:2)? According to Matt. 2:13-15, where did they take Jesus, and what prophecy did it fulfill (Hosea 11:1)?
- In Acts 2:14-21, when the Holy Spirit came upon the Apostles and believers, what prophet did Peter quote (Joel 2:28-32)?
- At the Jerusalem church council in Acts 15:13-18, James the head of the church, established that the Gospel was for Gentiles as well as Jews. What prophecy did he back it up with (Amos 9:11-15)?
- In Matthew 12:38-40, the Pharisees asked Jesus for a sign, but instead Jesus quoted from the prophet Jonah. What event in Jonah was a type and a prophecy of the resurrection of Jesus (Jonah1:17)?
- Where would the Messiah be born (Micah 5:2)? Compare the prediction of Micah 5:4 to Jesus’ teaching in John 10:11-14.
- When Jesus Christ entered Jerusalem on Palm Sunday in John 12:14-15, what prophecy did He fulfill about His method of transportation (Zechariah 9:9)?
- According to the prophets Zechariah and Jeremiah, how much money would Judas sell Jesus out for, and what did it buy (Matt.27:3-10, Zech.11:12-13)?
- Zechariah is loaded with Messianic prophecy. In Zech. 12:10, what event did he foresee after the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear in John 19:37 ?
- What did Zechariah predict Jesus’ disciples would do when He was arrested (Zech.13:7, Matt. 26:31)?
- What did Malachi predict about the forerunner of the Messiah (Malachi 3:1-5; 4:5-6, Matthew 11:7-10, Mark 1:2-4, Luke 7:24-27)?