Why Do You Love James Bond?
The latest in a series of 21 James Bond movies is out now and like all the others it is a blockbuster at the box office. I can’t think of any other series that has come close to Bond’s popularity or longevity. I believe as long as they keep making them people will keep going. I have a few questions for you about James Bond. Why is he the most popular secret agent/action hero ever? How can dozens of bad guys fire machine guns, rocket launchers, even giant laser beams from outer space at him , and never hit him?
Answer: He is the ultimate fantasy of every guy! Think about it. He has everything, and he is everything—without really trying. He is everything we dream we could be. For instance:
1. He’s bullet proof, he never gets hit, but if he does he heals up quickly, and it never limits his ability.
2. He is ageless, he never ages and he never dies. Now he does have to morph from Sean Connery to Roger Moore to Timothy Dalton to Pierce Brosnan but he is always tall,dark,handsome, and athletic.
3. He’s never been whipped, never been beaten. Remember that Odd-Job guy or Jaws who was 7 ft. tall? He goes up against all the evil geniuses, yet Bond always wins
4. Wherever he goes, there are incredibly beautiful women who are available, and all of them want him. Even the evil ones become his love slaves. In the last movie, he is watching a fortress with binoculars when out of the ocean comes an incredible babe in a bikini who just happens to walk up next to him. Next scene they are in the sack. No expensive dinners, no courting, just right to it with no commitment, just full freedom.
5. He’s a natural, he knows everything, how to do everything whether it’s fighting or driving or skiing or card playing—he can do it all. He never has to say,”I can’t do that”or, “you are better than I”.
6. He is self reliant, independent, goes his own way, doesn’t need anybody—instead the world needs him. He single handedly saves the world in every movie.
7. He has no fear, no worries, is always cool, especially under pressure. In every scene, someone is trying to kill him, yet he is relaxed and making jokes.
8. That cool music is always playing in the background.
9. He always ends up with the coolest car imaginable.
How is all this possible? The obvious answer is it is fictional fantasy. So why is it so appealing? BECAUSE IT IS THE WAY WE WANT TO BE. We don’t want to die, and we always want to win. We want all our desires for pleasure to be fulfilled. We’d rather be a natural than to learn things. Instead of diet and exercise, we’d just like to be in great shape naturally. We don’t want to be dependent, and we hate fear and anxiety. In short, WE LIKE BOND AND HIS LIFE BETTER THAN OUR OWN.
Problem: God makes us like we are. God loves us like we are. God has a plan for us just like we are. Our disappointment with ourselves causes us major problems in every way. People within their own power work at becoming significant, secure, and fulfilled—yet it is all fiction—it can’t be. The only significance, security, and fulfillment is in Christ. GOD MADE US TO FIND THESE THINGS ONLY IN CHRIST.
Good News: According to 1 Corinthians 15:35-50, someday through Christ we will have the perfect body, we will be bulletproof, fulfilled, secure, and significant. If your hope is in Christ then relish in the fact that in eternity you will have it better than James Bond.
I AM NOT JAMES BOND BUT I KNOW JESUS LIVES.
“Because He lives I can face tomorrow. Because He lives all fear is gone. Because I know He holds the future, and life is worth the living just because He lives”